November is Diabetes Awareness Month. In fiscal year 2022, approximately 1 in 6 of our active employee and early retiree Group Health Insurance Plan (GHIP) members had an episode of treatment for diabetes or an indication of pre-diabetes at a cost of over $126.4 million dollars and representing over 15.1% of total healthcare expenditures. Diabetes puts people at risk for nerve damage, cardiovascular disease, foot and limb injuries, vision problems, and other complications that arise from having uncontrolled blood sugar. Diabetes also raises a person’s risk of having severe symptoms and complications from COVID-19. The good news is that prediabetes and diabetes are treatable.
The Division of Public Health (DPH), on June 30, 2023, issued its biennial report, Impact of Diabetes in Delaware, 2023 , to members of the General Assembly. The report provides up-to-date information on diabetes prevalence, programming, costs, and progress. The report is a collaboration of three agencies: DPH and the Division of Medicaid & Medical Assistance (DMMA) under the Delaware Department of Health and Social Services (DHSS), and the Delaware Department of Human Resources, Statewide Benefits Office (SBO).
The agencies make seven recommendations in the continued, coordinated pursuit of a healthier population, excellent clinical care for adults living with diabetes, and reduced health care costs. With state agencies strategically coordinating available resources, the State of Delaware will help individuals with diabetes and pre-diabetes achieve measurable and sustainable progress in the fight against this chronic health condition.
Diabetes prevention and management is an important area of focus for the State of Delaware. Prolonged levels of high blood sugar can cause serious damage to organ systems, and can be life threatening. The good news is type 1 and type 2 diabetes are treatable. For individuals with prediabetes, lifestyle changes can help them reduce their risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
Learn about the services available through your benefits, and take advantage of all the resources designed to help keep you healthy.
BENEFIT RESOURCES & INFORMATION
- Services, Discounts & Other Resources
- Diabetes Prevention Program
- Diabetes Management Program
- Transform Diabetes Care® program is a 12-month program to help keep your diabetes in check. It is covered at no additional cost. You’ll receive customized guidance based on your specific needs.
- Get reminders about refills, doctor appointments or preventive screenings and nutrition plans based on what you like and need.
- Access to Health Optimizer™ app to monitor your glucose and blood pressure; track and share readings; learn more about diabetes and maintaining a healthy lifestyle; make meals that align with your dietary restrictions; and more.
- You’ll get personalized support from Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specialist nurses and support from your Aetna One™ Advisor team.
- If you’re managing diabetes, you’ll be enrolled automatically into the program.